Recently I did a 5 day juice fast. Before the fast I felt like my insides were clogged up and each time I ate anything, I felt it getting worse. Bloating, feeling heavy and full despite how little I was eating. I decided that it was basically best to get a dustpan and broom and do a good sweep of my insides. So I went shopping and got a range of fruit and vegetables ready to be squeezed through my juicer. I used a special program I had passed onto me by a friend.
I had 4 juices a day and the last night I had a warm broth. The first day, I focused on sipping my juices slowly and mindfully and appreciated every nutrient my glass of juice had to offer. The second day I was getting used to my routine and by the third day I felt it quite unusual that I hadn’t chewed with my teeth for a while! By the third day I was so mindful of every juice I consumed that I felt full on one glass of juice. I did feel my energy low at times but also high other times. After 5 days of a juice fast, I drank juice and pureed soup for another 5 days. Consuming heavy food straight after a fast is not recommended!
The greatest reward of this fast that I felt was the ‘hollow’ yet completely content feeling in my belly and my entire digestive system. My yoga practice deepened and I felt connected to my bandhas, my breath and my body on a much deeper level. I have now made a personal commitment to do a juice fast regularly. I am now due for my next one! It is a great way to give our digestive system a break and to connect with the body and mind on a spiritual level more regularly. Even one day a fortnight is a great way to start and maintain a healthy system.
If you do decide to fast, it is important to find a good program with guidelines and the right juices. The juices vary with fruit, vegetable as well as herbs. Let me know if you’re interested in a fast and I can recommend what may be best for you.
Some of the benefits of fasting:
- Helps promote physical and emotional health, by rejuvenating the body.
- Helps lower cholesterol and normalise blood pressure.
- Helps overcome addictions.
- Brings the mind awareness to the ‘divine’ and away from overconsumption and greed.
- Alleviates disorders of the gastrointestinal system, constipation, bloating and gastritis.
- Improves mental alertness – cleans toxins out of the lymphatic system and blood stream.
- Rejuvenates the digestive system, giving the digestive system a much needed rest.
- Quiets allergic reactions, including asthma and hay fever.
- Clears the skin and whitens the eyes.
“Fasting is simply a process of deep physiological rest. This rest period helps you rebuild functioning power and recover from the energy dissipation caused by hectic daily schedules and abusive living habits.” – Frank Sabatino, D.C., Ph.D.